X

flat spot bbetween 7-9RPM?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat spot bbetween 7-9RPM?

i finally got my bike outta the shop yesterday morning. i've put 123 miles on it since i have a few questions, but first let me rundown what was wrong with my carbs...

the shop told me my carbs were shot. the choke was barely working (only disengaged 1 carb), and suggested they try using the parts off my gsxr 750 carbs. it worked, they switched the assemblies, got the idle at 1500RPM, and it hasn't fouled anything out yet. i'm pleased by their work.

now, i have a flat spot between 7-9K RPM, then everything kicks right back in after that. the mechanic told me this also, and said that i can try replacing the stock airbox with K&N filters to see if it'd help. also, if i get on the throttle real good (near full throttle), it sputters until it's revved high (let's say passed 9K RPM). anyone know what could be causing this or how to fix it?

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
    "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

try replacing the stock airbox with K&N filters

By the mechanic suggesting that, your bike is too rich in that area. Rejet or PM Ivan on here he is the carb man. You are right in the area where mid and wot come together on the pre98 750, IMO you are running too rich on main jet and try adjusting the needle.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
      Rejet or PM Ivan on here he is the carb man. You are right in the area where mid and wot come together on the pre98 750, IMO you are running too rich on main jet and try adjusting the needle.
      +1

Given the age of your bike, your needles may be worn -- the stock needles do wear over the years. As for the choke not working, unless the choke bar is bent (the common rail that activates all the choke mechanisms at the carb end of the choke cable), you should be able to fix it by forcing the choke bar manually to the extreme choke setting and then cleaning the actual choke pulls with WD-40 and a toothbrush. They tend to get junked up over the years with dust, etc., and a good cleaning can often set them right again.

Good Luck!
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

well, i figured i'd post the outcome of everything with my carbs, maybe someone can use this info in the future for reference. and just to let ya'll know how things worked out...

earlier this week, my plugs were wanting to foul out. given i had higher flowing carbs (GSXR 750), the quickest resolution i could think of was to add more air. so i re-installed my K&N pod filters, and voila', she runs like a champ. i rode about 30 miles or so today, and never had one single sputter or stutter from 0RPM to redline. WOT is now WIDE-OPEN-THROTTLE! i was getting used to the power it had before it started flooding, but now it's got a good bit more power and i confess, WOT is scary lol the flat spot between 7-9KRPM is non-existent, and as a whole, the bike runs flawlessly. it's actually a bit intimidating hearing the roar of the filters when it revs high and pulls. i guess this is kinda what it feels like to have a jet kit? anywho, i couldn't ask for it to run any smoother, plenty of power, i just need to learn to hold on now lol

"Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

try replacing the stock airbox with K&N filters lol

I am so glad that worked for you. you did have a rich condition HUH! laughing.

runs like a raped ape now right?
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Important information!! Go here...

My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
              try replacing the stock airbox with K&N filters lol

I am so glad that worked for you. you did have a rich condition HUH! laughing.

runs like a raped ape now right?
              thanks for the info TK, worked like a charm ! lol

Comment

Originally posted by takirb
                ...i guess this is kinda what it feels like to have a jet kit?
                You could say you have the ultimate jet kit...GSXR750 carbs!

Comment

and why would the Ape run if he was raped? You think he would curl up into a little ball and weep...I know thats what I would do.

Glad to see another member helped by the wizards on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                  X