X

Clutch Question: Bolt Size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Question: Bolt Size

What size is the main bolt to remove the cage? The one in the center.. I am thinking a 28 - 32 MM ? I don't have in my box and need to get to remove the entire clutch to see about adjusting my linkage.

misery
    misery loves company...

I can find out by checking some of the opened up engines and parts here...........but I gotta ask.............why are you attempting to adjust your linkage?

BTW..........I honestly don't think there IS any adjustment available.....
    I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
    Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
    Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

There is an adjustment there on Pre 98 Kats..
      But you dont need a wrench that big..
      (or at least I didn't think so)
      The adjustment is for the free play in the throwout rod I belive

Comment

Actually that looks like a 10 or 12 mm locking nut on a socket head set screw for the adjustment.

Comment

Guys,
          Yes, I am attempting to adjust the linkage.
          The issue is second gear.. I don't think it is the normal issue..

The normal issue being it jumps out of second gear..
          The issue I am having is that once I shift into second gear, the engine revs and after 30-40 seconds I hear a clunk.. then it drops into second, gives a little kick and I am off.. shifting into 3rd is not a problem or any of the other gears..

I bought a metric set of sockets 20-28 mm. I am going to remove it tomorrow and have a look see.

Peter, advice on adjustments?

P.S. I did get an email from a vistitor from KP that said that the size was a 1 1/18 socket..
          misery loves company...

Comment

I doubt it but 1-1/8th is 28.5mm

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
              I doubt it but 1-1/8th is 28.5mm
              Do they make a 28.5 MM socket?
              misery loves company...

Comment

No,
                That's why either it's 28 or 29..
                I'm guessing who ever told you it was 1-1/8th was fudging it cause it was close.
                Sockets are always a little over sized.
                So maybe 1-1/8 is 29mm snug, with a worn out socket??

What bike are we talking about and do you have the service manual?
                The service manual should tell you the size wrench.
                Also I wouldn't be adjusting anything without it..
                Just my opinion

Comment

Well,
                  I can tell you this, it is not a 28.. deos not fit.. I don't think a 29 will either.. I am thinking it is a 30.. going to borrow a 29 and 30 from a friend a find out.

I have the Clymer service-repair-maintenance manual..
                  I can not find it listed anywhere nor do I find information on linkage adjustment.. I am going to look for information on the throwout rod adjustment..

I also have the a copy of the supplementary service manual.. I always forget about having it.. I'm looking there now..

misery
                  misery loves company...

Comment

30mm, most of your bolts are even numbers on Kats
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.............the adjustment for the rod is inside the rubber donut mounted on the sprocket cover...........but it takes a 10mm wrench and a flat screw driver..................

What you are describing sounds to me like 2nd gear is goig bad or the slide by the gear is going.......................

I'll bet if you tore the tranny out (quite a job!) you'd see that the teeth on # 2 are rounded off a bit.............its not holding INTO the opposing gear..........
                      I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                      Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                      Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Starting to get really POed.. the 30 mm does not fit still too small..
                        misery loves company...

Comment

Working...
                        X