X

carb swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb swap

Does anyone know if carbs from a 98 600 will woek on a 88 600?

Don
    The greatest thing in life is getting your hair cut every two weeks and watching your neighbor fall off his roof.

I don't believe they will. Special K should be along here shortly and can tell you for sure but I believe they made a few changes in them every few years and 10 years may be too big of a jump given that 98 was also the first year of the new body design.
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

That is what everyone is telling me, Thanks
      The greatest thing in life is getting your hair cut every two weeks and watching your neighbor fall off his roof.

Comment

Why wouldnt they work? They might not be exactly the same, but they dont have any electronics on them, so it should work. I think it would work, but it would not be perfect. Maybe a differennce of a pony or 2?????? Carbs are carbs. They are both designed for the same cc engine and the same type of power. As long as the orfice sizes are the same the bike should should be able to run with them.
        Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

That's what the difference is...the way the carbs fit in the engine.

Comment

Look for Ivan on here, he is the carb man.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by illinoiskat
              Why wouldnt they work? They might not be exactly the same, but they dont have any electronics on them, so it should work. I think it would work, but it would not be perfect. Maybe a differennce of a pony or 2?????? Carbs are carbs. They are both designed for the same cc engine and the same type of power. As long as the orfice sizes are the same the bike should should be able to run with them.
              (A) The '98+ carbs do have electronics on them (Thottle Position Sensor -- TPS), but it's not mandatory that it be connected for use in older engines.

(B) The '88 and '89 Kat 600's used Mikuni BST31SS (31mm) carbs. The 90 - 97 Kat 600's used BST33SS (33mm carbs). The 98+ Kat 600s use Mikuni BSR32 (32mm carbs). The 32mm would probably bolt onto the same velocity stack, but unless the rubber is still quite flexible, you might get problems with the fitment being tight enough on a 15 year old bike.

(C) Carbs are not just carbs, even for the same cylinder count and displacement. The design of the carb takes into account such factors as intake valve-opening duration, the exhaust valve overlap and bore/stroke depth, which affects the vacuum levels and intake charge velocity. Example: The '90 GSXR has the same block and the same displacement, but uses a smaller bore and a longer stroke than the '88 - '05 Kat engines, thus the intake charge velocity changes, and the fueling equation at the carbs has to change to match.
              In our case, both the '88 and '98 engines have the same bore & stroke, but I don't know about valve overlap -- rejetting to compensate may be required.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Wow, I hope I ordered the right carbs for the Gixxer 1100 engine then!
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                X