X

Rubber plugs in carb

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber plugs in carb

I've got the carbs from my 92 katana 600 apart...are there supposed to be little rubber plugs in the bowl side? They seem to be plugging little jets inside there...is this normal or do I not need these? They guy who owned it before me said he pulled the carbs apart and added parts he thought fit but He really didn't know what he was doing. Anyways I'm also trying to find the idle jets, which ones are those? are they the little ones under these plugs?

look at this site it should help some. A manual off ebay would good idea too.

Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

I have a different bike than that, I've got the early model katana so It's not that same. The manual I have doesn't explain or show it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by bonstrosity
        I have a different bike than that, I've got the early model katana so It's not that same. The manual I have doesn't explain or show it at all.
        (A) Get the factory manual off eBay or your dealership.
        (B) Go look at the parts diagram for a 1997 Katana carb at www.ronayers.com
        (C) there shouldn't be rubber plugs within the float area at all that I'm aware of (I'm not definitive about pre-98 Kats). It sounds like he moved the plugs that normally cover the vacuum inlets (where the carbs get sync'd) to inside the bowls.
        (D) seriously consider buying another set of good carbs off eBay for $30 - $40. This will make your job much easier and you can sell the old ones after you get it all working.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I remember those plugs (NOT the caps on top) . They cover the pilot jets . I never could find out what they're there for. Need a long , skinny screwdriver to get those pilots out . Careful though , they're usually in there pretty good , and they're brass , so you don't want to slip . They ARE cheap enough to replace should that become necessary , however . Oh yeah ...GET A MANUAL !!! It WILL save you alot of hassle , believe me !
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

So I went to bike bandit and looked at the diagram there and they are there. I have a clymer manual and they showed nothing of it. Is that not a good brand of manual?

Comment

If you lose the plugs, it will also make float height adjustment difficult to get right, as they support part of the assembly.

check out Dougs site below for great help and pictures of the plug covering the pilot jet (which you won't normally need to touch).

AMA member # 224227

Comment

I use a Clymer manual, but I still refer to other resources for clarification. Just like you are doing now.

Between Doug's website, the manual, Special K and the Dyno-jet instructions. I got what I needed to fully understand what I was doing. Of course I had more advice from Cyber and others on forums.
                AMA member # 224227

Comment

Originally posted by bonstrosity
                  So I went to bike bandit and looked at the diagram there and they are there. I have a clymer manual and they showed nothing of it. Is that not a good brand of manual?
                  it's reasonable, but the factory manual tends to have better diagrams.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yeah the little rubber plug they block off the pilot jet bottom because if you look inside the pilot jet bore there a little hole were the pilot jet draw fuel thru it from the main jet passage but they arent need and yes i know what i talking about i had a 771 kat that was pushing 107 hp and 70 ft lbs or torque to the rear wheel and i didnt have these rubber plugs in my carbs and they dont make the float height hard to set if you read the servise manual it says to gently squeeze the float into place as if the fuel bowls are on to set the height.

Comment

Working...
                    X