X

chain manufacturers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain manufacturers

Are there some manufacturers that I should avoid when looking for a chain and sprocket kit?

I found an IRIS (spanish manufacturer) kit on the german eBay, http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=7932009707

Including shipping it will cost me €86,90 = ~$110. Does anybody have experience of using IRIS stuff?
    - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

One of the people here had a link to a place that was
    selling the RK chain & sprocket set for around $120 or so.
    If it were me, I would avoid brands I never heard of.
    Stick with RK, DID, and so on.

Comment

I'm with JHugh on this one. I've never heard of them either. I would check out RK for a replacement. I had one on my Kat that did great, albeit a bit noisier than my stock chain. I bought a kit from Sprocket Center that had the sprockets and chain for about $125, as memory serves.

Are things more expensive in Belgium than here in Deutschland? If so, have you looked into www.polo-motorrad.de or Louis? They might have some deals that may be less expensive than getting overseas shipping from a U.S. supplier.

Comment

Yeah, generally it's more expensive here - the market is much smaller and the sales tax is 21 %

Took a look at the two sites, the kits (DID and RK) go for € 150-160

After some further research I found a DID kit at motorgoedkoop.nl for € 119, will be hard to beat I think...

PS for you americans € 1 ~ $ 1,25
        - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

RK, DID or Tsubaki all make rally good chains.

Each of those makes SEVERAL levels of chains for the O ring 530 series........
          I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
          Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
          Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Here's food for thought. As long as it is an O-Ring chain and it is lubed properly (i.e. every 3-5K) the chain should last and perform. Thoughts? Has anyone heard of a "cheepo" chain coming apart or breaking in odd as if to have major side-to-side movement or uneven tightness after 5K or more?

jim
            Are paradigms another way of viewing 20 pennies or 4 nickles . . . think out of the roll

Comment

I don't know about breaking however, the cheap chains tend to strech more. EK, RK and DID are really ggod chains (I prefer the high end chains from each manufacturer) and as long as you take care of them (I clean/lube every other fill-up) and maintain proper tension, they will last an extremely long time. Using a RK chain now, but will be switching back to a DID gold when this one dies (if it does). Just my .02 on it.
              sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
              MSF Rider Coach 27028
              MoPowerSports.com
              Torco
              SoCalTrackDays

Comment

I don't know about the cheap chains but my latest experience with the stock RK was not good. It went bad after only 7,500 miles and that's with being meticulous about cleaning it with kerosene or WD-40 and lubing only with chain lube. Some of the links showed the telltale sign of a bad chain early on - red powdery substance around the o-ring and it was actually getting quite hot. After having owned 3 bikes, always using the same cleaning method on them, I don't know why this chain cut out so soon. Does sitting in the showroom for a year cause the o-rings to dry out prematurely? Who knows. I replaced it with a DID 'Professional' chain which, IMO, looks to be much more heavy duty than the stock RK.

Comment

Originally posted by jhugh
                  I don't know about the cheap chains but my latest experience with the stock RK was not good. It went bad after only 7,500 miles and that's with being meticulous about cleaning it with kerosene or WD-40 and lubing only with chain lube. Some of the links showed the telltale sign of a bad chain early on - red powdery substance around the o-ring and it was actually getting quite hot. After having owned 3 bikes, always using the same cleaning method on them, I don't know why this chain cut out so soon. Does sitting in the showroom for a year cause the o-rings to dry out prematurely? Who knows. I replaced it with a DID 'Professional' chain which, IMO, looks to be much more heavy duty than the stock RK.
                  It was probably the stoddard cleaning solution in the WD40 that did your chain in early. The cheaper stock RK's are particularly sensitive to chemicals that dry out the O-ring seals (the primary difference in their chains being the quality of the seals and what they're made out of)... I've gotten slightly over 16k out of the OEM RK chain by the time it got to half-way through the chain adjustor distance (my spec for replacing it to minimize sprocket damage). Then again, you could be adjusting it too tightly... remember slightly too loose is far better than slightly too tight... 1" to 1.1" on the centerstand, 1.1 to 1.2" on the sidestand will maximize the lifespan normally.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X