Disabling park lights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabling park lights

Hi,

My wife borrowed my bike yesterday as hers is playing it. She got to work and turned it past off and into the park setting, and then happily left the lights on all day (her SV650S has no such feature).

We got it started again and the battery is holding its charge well now.

I really have no need of the park feature though. Does anyone know how easy/difficult it would be to remove the park setting? Is it as simple as snipping a wire?

I haven't even looked yet, but was thinking about doing it on the weekend. It is actually not ever something I will do as by force of habit I press the key in when switching off and removing it (I have to do that in my car) and if I do that I can't switch it to park. I just want to avoid this if my wife borrows the bike in another few months and forgets.
    fulcrum (aka David)
    Blue 2004 GSX750F
    Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
    If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

I have used mine a couple of times.. helps you to be seen if you are on the side of the road for some reason.. like broken down or another rider is broken down.. I would think it would be easy as snipping a wire but unsure how the circuit goes.
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Seriously consider replacing the two bulbs in question with LED equivilents instead... then it should be able to burn all day without draining the battery all the way.

I just got out the wiring diagram -- if I'm reading it (for the 98+ Kats) correctly, then there isn't a wire to be cut as such from the park position (instead of coupling three pairs of wires as in the "on" position, it couples all six connections together).

I've used the running/parking lights numerous times, including in the fog, the rain, etc. I know for sure that it saved my bike from being hit from behind several times on the interstate or state road when I've stopped for some reason or other (usually aiding another cycle broken down or when my gf needed to stop on hers & I pull in behind her).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        I just got out the wiring diagram -- if I'm reading it (for the 98+ Kats) correctly, then there isn't a wire to be cut as such from the park position (instead of coupling three pairs of wires as in the "on" position, it couples all six connections together).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        i think that the park diagram shows it connects the red wire to the brown wire NOT everything else between. but yes it is a function of the switch - the switch would have to be disassembled and those two contact points removed.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
          i think that the park diagram shows it connects the red wire to the brown wire NOT everything else between. but yes it is a function of the switch - the switch would have to be disassembled and those two contact points removed.
          You're right. That's what I get for being sleep-deprived...
          Look closely at the spot at the top marked "Ignition Switch"...

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i do agree cyber - that although it caused a dead battery once ( you'd probably not do it again ) some times it would come in handy.

at night your only option would be to also have the headlight on which would kill the battery is no time.

tim

Comment

You've all convinced me to leave it alone

It never causes me a problem, like I said, so it shouldn't be an issue. I think my wife is ultra paranoid of it now. She had to borrow the bike again the day after that and when she got off it she walked around it to check all the lights were off even after checking the switch
              fulcrum (aka David)
              Blue 2004 GSX750F
              Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
              If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

Working...
              X