X

Kickstand is killing me!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickstand is killing me!

The kickstand on my '99 750 Kat keeps dropping wile riding. It's not like it touches the gound, but it is enough to kill the bike. Can I tighten the bolt or get a stronger spring. Thanks!
    I may be going slow, but I'm having more fun than the guy with road rash.

Hey, I had the same problem! Itīs funny when in a right corner the kickstand falls and kill the engine, isnt?
    I just take the spring apart, cut a bit and bend it. Just try to make it shorter, and since then no problem!
    PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

watch around the bumps too, mine does that especially when I do lube it. It is one of the lube points that should be regularly checked, but I tend to let mine get a lil rusty, cuz it keeps it in place a lil better!
      -Will-

Comment

You COULD disable the kickstand killswitch . But if your stand keeps falling , maybe you should get another spring instead...
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

There are three possible problems.

The most common is that the spring has gotten old and stretched. If so, replace it, but check for the other possible problems first. SpecialK usually carries spare kickstand springs. HarborFreight (www.harborfreight.com) carries a $2 or $3 spring hook tool that makes installing the spring much, much easier.

The second is that the kickstand pivot hole has gotten elongated from use & time, in which case the spring won't keep the contact plate on the kickstand in contact with the contact switch that acts as the sensor for the kickstand engine-kill circuit. If so, you will have to find a solution to correct the hole, or disable the kill switch. I highly recommend fixing the hole, because otherwise at some point your sidestand is going to give out on you unexpectedly. I've heard tales of welding & redrilling, and of pressing in a brass bushing, depending on the degree of elongation.

The final problem could be that the part at the top of the sidestand that is supposed to hit the kill switch is bent or isn't contacting the kill switch consistantly because the contact switch is loose in it's mounting.

Good Luck!
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Did you ever start the bike, put it in first gear and the bike died due to a forgotten sidestand?
            Imagine the same "story" with a disabled killswitch, I happen to know a guy (me ) who did this, I was launched in the first left curve and totalled the bike (Kawa J1).
            Don't disable the killswitch! it's not there for fun or looks!, its for your safety.
            Just correct the problem, if the hole is elongated don't bother welding it, just use a shorter spring, if the spring is stretched replace it.
            Anyway the kickstand should be up in place and in reliable shape while riding. (that's not solved by disabling the killswitch)

Comment

Is a kick stand spring considered a maintenance item? If so how often should you replace it?

Comment

Another dead thread?

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn View Post
                  Is a kick stand spring considered a maintenance item? If so how often should you replace it?
                  When it needs it . I like to spray it down with brake cleaner , then WD-40 the hell outta them . Helps TREMENDOUSLY . If it's still springing back well (and I mean you just TAP it and it flips up with a nice "thunk") , then it's probably fine . If it's wearing , what'll start happening is that it'll sometimes die when you take off , or hit bumps just right . Been there , done that . And there are TWO springs in there , too . One inside the other . so even if one's wearing , the other helps keep the stand from flopping all the way down . Or so I'm guessing ....

Comment

Yes!! Another old dead thread, But quit barking already. At least he used the search funtion and looked for the answer. Rather than posting it anew and having ten people tell them to use the search.

Crawl back into your hole and chew your bone like a good dog.

If you notice its a dead thread... try thanking them for looking first before asking a question.

BTW TZ has been here longer than you. Hes got seniority. Be good to the old people around here.. They have senior moments :P
                    Last edited by Newbie2it; 09-04-2008, 01:30 AM.
                    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I am the thread reviver. Has anybody had to replace one of these? If so how much should it cost, I'm not going to the dealership that charged $44 for a SINGLE LED 1157 that I got at Auto Zone for $15 a pair. And we only have one Suzuki dealer around here.
                      I am King Sam

--I have a wedgie!
                      --It's a thong, just relax and accept the string.

Comment

You might look at EBay if you need the whole kickstand, or if you need just the springs, get them from RonAyers Ect
                        Belows for the 93, but you can look up your model. More than likely, you just need the springs. Both of them.
                        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
                          BTW TZ has been here longer than you. Hes got seniority.
                          The internet doesn't quite work like that. Sorry.

Comment

bark bark bark bark bark
                            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

But WE do . I knew Tzorten way back in the KP days . He's good people . And it was a joke anyway .

Comment

Working...
                              X