X

A warning about Liquid Wrench Chain Lube

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A warning about Liquid Wrench Chain Lube

Since I've been living without a garage for the last few months, I decided to try out Liquid Wrench Chain Lube, which now claims to be o-ring safe. While I cannot attest to its efficacy in prolonging chain life, as my chain was already rather worn when I started using it, I can say this:

Liquid Wrench will cover your entire chain, swingarm, and tire in 1/8 inch of black, gooey, sandy grime. This stuff does not come off easily. Even when I sprayed with carb cleaner, I had to spend quite a bit of time scraping it off.

Even with regular use (about every 200 miles or less) my chain was badly kinked and constantly covered in sandy grime that is a nightmare to clean off.

I will be going back to heavy motor oil (20W-50) as recommended in the manual. Just a friendly word of caution for anyone considering this product.

Originally posted by mykat View Post
    Liquid Wrench will cover your entire chain, swingarm, and tire in 1/8 inch of black, gooey, sandy grime. This stuff does not come off easily.
    That describes pretty much any spray on chain lube in existence. Thanks for the heads up, I've never used that, now I never will. Thanks again.

Comment

Belray white graphite spray lube does not do that.... jussayin.

See My Garage for mods...
      T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
      Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Never had any issues with BelRay Superclean or Torco chain lubes (Both spray on).

Tmod

Comment

I clean and lube my chain about monthly and never have any issues with gunk: WD-40 and a brush do wonders for cleaning old wax/lube off

Comment

Torco and Motul have been good for me...
            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Teflon based lubes seem to work well for me.

Comment

a minute late and a dollar short! just sprayed the hell out of my chain with this product about a week ago! thanks for the heads up though

Comment

I've had good results using the DuPont liquid chain lubricant - doesn't hold dirt and grime like the chain waxes/greases do, and doesn't get all over the bike. It comes in a nice, small squeeze bottle at Lowes for under $5.00 and the bottle lasts me around 2 months of use on both bikes.
                  2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                  2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

I've been using the Honda Pro chain lube for a few years now. (switched from 75 weight gear oil)
                    I also get the grime on the SA, etc. - but she seems to work like a dream. 20k+ miles on this set of chain/sprockets so far - almost no sign of wear yet.

I've used the Bel Ray in the past, but always ended up with a mess on the SA/tire anyway.

Comment

I have used Silkoline Pro Chain for years. I love this product.
                      Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Formulations depend on the application it will be used for.

I would never pick an "off the shelf lube" as you don't really know what you are getting.

Choose a product formulated for motorcycles.

PJ1 Black label comes out thick and nasty, but I only use that for touring when I want to ensure max coverage.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I put a barrier between the chain and the rest of the bike before I spray the chain lube and never have a problem.

Comment

Motul Chain Lube Road is the best I've found for street usage. Does a decent job staying on, even in the wet, doesn't make too much of a mess.
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet
                            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

PJ chain lube i think it is. I used that and its awesome.
                              99 Katana GSX600F -03 Bandtana GSX1200F- 06 Charger Daytona R/T

The Tallest KAT Rider.. Out there! PERIOD.

Comment

Working...
                              X