X

Won't idle below 3 grand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't idle below 3 grand

Alright guys, I read through the Carbs 101 and I've got an issue still. I had a buddy of mine who works at a shop that does strictly motorcycles look over the carbs. They needed cleaned, so he did all that. Ripped them all the way down and cleaned them up nice. We had to get a new rubber boot for the slide and put in some new rubber o-rings in the individual carbs. We got it all back together and it starts fine on full choke, and once warmed up a bit the choke can go off and it will idle at 3 grand. Once we touch the idle screw to turn it down it instantly shuts off. Start it back up and it'll idle again at 3 grand, then die again when we go to turn the idle screw down, even a tiny bit, like an eight of a turn.

Important things to consider:
    - It's got a 4 into 1 pipe

Thinking it's got the wrong jets in it possibly but not sure at this time. Before I rip it down do you guys have any other ideas? It doesn't have any vacuum leaks and it isn't leaking any gas. It's also been synced since it was put back on the bike, brand new SF motorcycle oil and new spark plugs.

Check all your seals from the air box to carbs to engine. did you guys do anything to the A/F screw?
    2005 Gsx600f- My baby
    1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
    Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

Originally posted by hinow41 View Post
      Check all your seals from the air box to carbs to engine. did you guys do anything to the A/F screw?
      Seals are all good. He never mentioned messing with the A/F screw.
      Last edited by Mackin24; 04-15-2012, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackin24 View Post
        He never mentioned messing with the A/F screw.
        Than the pilot circuit isn't clean. You high idle is probably because the throttle cable is holding the butterflies open. Adjust the throttle cable and see if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          Than the pilot circuit isn't clean. You high idle is probably because the throttle cable is holding the butterflies open. Adjust the throttle cable and see if that helps.

Haha, I'm sure he messed with it just didn't get real in-depth about what he was doing. He's a professional and a good friend so I trust him to do it right. I hadn't thought about the throttle cable, I'll give that whirl, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackin24 View Post
            Haha, I'm sure he messed with it just didn't get real in-depth about what he was doing. He's a professional and a good friend so I trust him to do it right. I hadn't thought about the throttle cable, I'll give that whirl, thanks.
            I know he's your buddy, but I have yet to have a professional clean carbs properly. If he didn't soak each body in carb dip for at least 12 hours, your carbs are still dirty. Spraying cleaner at them does nothing. Personal experience as well as experience of others here.

Comment

You realize "professional" just means they get paid to do it right?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                You realize "professional" just means they get paid to do it right?
                I do....I don't think the majority of other people do.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                  I know he's your buddy, but I have yet to have a professional clean carbs properly. If he didn't soak each body in carb dip for at least 12 hours, your carbs are still dirty. Spraying cleaner at them does nothing. Personal experience as well as experience of others here.
                  Nah, he soaked them for more than 12 hours and cleaned them really well. I looked it over, he's not BSing me I've known him since I was a kid. I just know rule number one is don't mess with something if you don't know what you're doing, so I let him do that stuff.

Comment

I wasn't talking to you. I know you do.

Comment

Working...
                    X