X

Test question.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test question.

I'm going to school for my Motorcycle repair technician. I have a question on a take home assignment and I'm stuck. Also I didn't know where to post this. Maybe one of you can help.

Question.
    A technician wants to increase the torque produced at the rear wheel in all gear ranges. Which of the following changes will produce this result.

a. Replace the primary drive with a larger diameter gear
    b. Replace the clutch outer with one having a smaller diameter
    c. Replace the counter shaft sprocket with on having a larger diameter
    d. Replace the rear wheel sprocket with one of a larger diameter

Shouldn't A and D be correct. My book says that decreasing the rpms of the primary drive gear will increase torque. Also the same should apply on the rear sprocket. Am I missing something?
    sigpic
    1994 GSX600

go look at a bicycle

bigger front smaller back for speed
    smaller front bigger rear for torque
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I know that much but making the primary drive gear will also increase the torque unless I'm mistaken.
      sigpic
      1994 GSX600

Comment

The gear reduction system used for
        transferring the power from the crankshaft to the clutch is called the
        primary drive.

This if what I'm referring to as primary drive
        sigpic
        1994 GSX600

Comment

I figured that. That gear on the crank is not a gear you can just change. You need a different crankshaft. Than you need a different clutch. So, IMO, that's not a very viable option. But changing the sprocket ratio is a viable option. Are you going to MMI? If so, I'd go with the most ridiculous option they give you.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            I figured that. That gear on the crank is not a gear you can just change. You need a different crankshaft. Than you need a different clutch. So, IMO, that's not a very viable option. But changing the sprocket ratio is a viable option. Are you going to MMI? If so, I'd go with the most ridiculous option they give you.
            Haha nope, not MMI. Just a little bit pricy since I'm paying out of pocket. So I'm doing the motorcycle repair tech program a Penn Foster with on the job training that should start soon.

I'll put down D and if I'm counted off I'll just email them my reasons for the credit. Thanks for the help though.
            sigpic
            1994 GSX600

Comment

D. You would go DOWN teeth on the front to increase torque.

It's why all the stunters run 4 tooth fronts and 99999 tooth rears.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

4 teeth on the front sprocket and the Kat will power wheelie in 6th gear with a top speed of say 25mph, damn sarcastic bunch:bunny2

you would need a velocity stacks and a k&n and a wider rear tire.

oh ya "D" is the answer.
                Blackdog
                DRz-400e plated
                Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

100% on it. Thanks guys. Also arsenic we were right both answers were correct they were just looking for D since it was the choice any tech would have made rather than get inside the case.

BTW Blackdog what going through the thumb??????
                  Last edited by dta; 08-23-2011, 08:57 PM.
                  sigpic
                  1994 GSX600

Comment

These are like my ASE tests. Let me give you some advice. Dont look for the right answer. Delete the wrong answers one by one until you realize the last viable option is left. Even if you dont know the correct answer, but deleting the obvious incorrect answer you will arrive at the right conclusion without even knowing it.

And D is the correct answer. (Edit, just saw you did get answer D correct, lol)
                    Originally posted by arsenic
                    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I am going with A. that is off the top of my head.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

You would...
                        In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

"after the nuclear apocalypse, there will be 6ft tall cockroaches eating twinkies and driving dodge darts, and riding katanas" -- JayBell

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                          These are like my ASE tests. Let me give you some advice. Dont look for the right answer. Delete the wrong answers one by one until you realize the last viable option is left. Even if you dont know the correct answer, but deleting the obvious incorrect answer you will arrive at the right conclusion without even knowing it.

And D is the correct answer. (Edit, just saw you did get answer D correct, lol)

Thanks for the Advice. Have you encountered to possible correct answers before in your tests? For example another one I had last week was

"In a 2 stroke engine the intake valve is located where?

-top of the cylinder
                          -middle of the cylinder
                          -bottom of the cylinder
                          -Crankcase (my choice and was correct)"

But in the chapter that the test was on said "The intake valve is located in the bottom of the piston or the crankcase in some models." I Quadruple checked and that was the only info related to location. So I picked my favorite answer.

Will I run into this a lot based on your experience?
                          sigpic
                          1994 GSX600

Comment

There are two correct answers a lot. I'm certified, and Hemi is ASE certificated. I'm sure his tests are a lot like mine where. They phrase them just like that. There are two options, both will achieve the same result. But one no one in the history of forever would ever do. Remember making money as a tech is about speed. There is book time for each job. For example a carb clean is a 4 hour book job. Well, if you do it in 2 hours, you still get paid for a four hour job. So, your still making money on that job while your on another job. So, which do you think is faster? Changing sprockets or splitting the cases and changing the crank?
                            Last edited by arsenic; 08-23-2011, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spatula6554 View Post
                              You would...
                              meaning? care to elaborate on that comment?

if you care to know why I picked A, it is because the primary gear is not a direct connect to the the front drive sprocket. there is a secondary gear in between, so if you enlarge the primary gear, you would slow down the secondary gear...thus creating more torque. however, if there is a 3rd gear in there somewhere before the output shaft to the front sprocket, then you would have to go in size. I just assumed there were only 2 gears involved. if there are 3, then you would use a smaller primary gear for more torque. even number of gears, you would go up. odd number of gears, you would go down. that's the basic principal with reduction. it works with everything.

but hey...that is just how I am visualizing it in my head. I am not a tranny expert by any means, so I can not say with 100% certainty. If this was a real life situation someone needed help with, I would not even bother answering because I am just not certain.
                              Last edited by Mojoe; 08-24-2011, 11:20 AM.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X