PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a firm understanding chassis wise from an engineering stand point

jwfrost
07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
when u look at a 92 kat 89 -95 frame the key parts are obviously motor cage and drive train stability and proper alignment aside from that ur left with exhaust framing and seat framing and passenger peg and of course rider pegs... now be open minded as a welder the welds aren't a problem... lets say right behind the drivers foot pegs i cut off the framing that goes up to support the seat and exhaust and foot pegs and weld in a different frame style to remove the rear fairings and expose more tire and suspension then moving north cut out the seat framing and go with a thicker frame.. allot of work to tie it all back together but can be done and then begin to weld supports differently so that the tire and such r pretty much exposed shifting the battery forward and moving allot of wiring forward to make a hugely open back i have dual pipes and want to switch to single so only on one side would i have to worry about the support for the exhaust.. then making a bracket for new foot pegs.... any thoughts any ideas

steves
07-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Yes, you can swap the sub frames. Many have done it.

Blazerzr2 put a 750 tail on a 600 frame.

Folks like Waltari made much more custom solutions.

Make sure you trust your welding.

Kreylyn
07-13-2010, 03:46 PM
when u look at a 92 kat 89 -95 frame the key parts are obviously motor cage and drive train stability and proper alignment aside from that ur left with exhaust framing and seat framing and passenger peg and of course rider pegs... now be open minded as a welder the welds aren't a problem... lets say right behind the drivers foot pegs i cut off the framing that goes up to support the seat and exhaust and foot pegs and weld in a different frame style to remove the rear fairings and expose more tire and suspension then moving north cut out the seat framing and go with a thicker frame.. allot of work to tie it all back together but can be done and then begin to weld supports differently so that the tire and such r pretty much exposed shifting the battery forward and moving allot of wiring forward to make a hugely open back i have dual pipes and want to switch to single so only on one side would i have to worry about the support for the exhaust.. then making a bracket for new foot pegs.... any thoughts any ideas

Simple version... cut the brace you want to remove at the footpegs, heat and bend that up and re-attatch about 4-5" below the upper brace. At the same time, do a bend/increase in the tail section by 3-5" at the very end, but place the bend just tank side of the tank mount bracket.

What you should see is a minimal work needed, able to use all stock parts and now have alot of clearance between tire and tail. Include in this a trim on the lower tail fairings and you now have a much more "SS" styled tail look.

If you went further with the mods to include a Single sided swingarm or a SS bike that gives clearance for an understail exhaust like the new R1 swingarms... you could move the 4-1 into an undertail.

Ultimately, just make sure you have an A frame support... if you cut off just the lower support and don't replace it... that is about the only thing really that would be BAD.... :p

Krey

jwfrost
07-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Simple version... cut the brace you want to remove at the footpegs, heat and bend that up and re-attatch about 4-5" below the upper brace. At the same time, do a bend/increase in the tail section by 3-5" at the very end, but place the bend just tank side of the tank mount bracket.

What you should see is a minimal work needed, able to use all stock parts and now have alot of clearance between tire and tail. Include in this a trim on the lower tail fairings and you now have a much more "SS" styled tail look.

If you went further with the mods to include a Single sided swingarm or a SS bike that gives clearance for an understail exhaust like the new R1 swingarms... you could move the 4-1 into an undertail.

Ultimately, just make sure you have an A frame support... if you cut off just the lower support and don't replace it... that is about the only thing really that would be BAD.... :p

Krey

is that really possible to do to go to the single swing arm on this bike that would rock but would be pricey no?

steves
07-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Anything is possible. Cost is the limiting factor for most.

Kreylyn
07-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Costs are relative... depends on the resources you have avail, time spent to collect parts, and prices you get on said parts. Take your time, and you can get really good deals for parts on ebay to start the mod with. Read the boards, do additional research for other bikes and swingarm mods... the more you learn about the general process, the easier it will be for you to plan your own detailed process out.

Price wise... I would say your looking at a minimal starting point of $500+ for any kind of major swingarm mod... and the price just goes up from there depending on how much you have others do vs how much you can do for yourself.

Krey

md86
07-14-2010, 01:34 AM
is that really possible to do to go to the single swing arm on this bike that would rock but would be pricey no?
Kweeble had a single swinger on his bike . Search for it .

Waltari
07-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Katana of the Month - September 2007 – Kwebbel (http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=73396)

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/kneedrager/KOTM/album_pic.php-3.jpg

HemiKat
07-14-2010, 11:39 AM
I bet ive looked at Kwebbles bike a dozen or so times and never noticed the SSSA. :tearslol

jwfrost
07-16-2010, 05:45 PM
wow thank u for that pic inspiring

Waltari
07-16-2010, 06:35 PM
My old 95

http://www.castordesignstudio.com/frankenkat/3519_3.JPG

il_ragazzo
07-16-2010, 06:45 PM
i like how black peter cut his sub frame too. he's got a simple look though.