X

choke not opening

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choke not opening

Choke cable is working properly but when you look inside carbs the choke flaps are not opening bike will not start just backfires need help

pull carbs and clean choke slides inside and out. drop some wd-40 into the holes and make sure when you put them back together they move freely. really simple solution. refer to carbs 101 thread for pics and details.
    sigpic
    if you can read this then your in range.
    1 shot 1 kill

Comment

Do you really need to remove the carbs to get to the choke? I would think it's possible to remove the choke assembly and clean/lube while the carbs are still on the bike. To make the whole job a bit easier. Nothing I've tried though, but juding from how the choke assembly looks I think it would be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Tugroot View Post
        Choke cable is working properly but when you look inside carbs the choke flaps are not opening bike will not start just backfires need help

Are you saying that when you pull the choke cable to open the choke on a Katana, the butterlies (flaps) are not opening?

Well, that is because they are not supposed to open by choke. The choke cable is not really a choke... it's a fuel enrichment system. When you pull the "choke cable" on it opens plungers that allows vacuum to pull fuel from the bowls to increase the amount of fuel needed to start a cold engine.

It does nothing for the butterflies (flaps inside).

Originally posted by Jimmie View Post
        Do you really need to remove the carbs to get to the choke? I would think it's possible to remove the choke assembly and clean/lube while the carbs are still on the bike. To make the whole job a bit easier. Nothing I've tried though, but juding from how the choke assembly looks I think it would be possible.
        If your just cleaning/lubing the cable... there probably isn't a need to remove the carbs. If your needing to pull and clean the fuel enrichment plungers, then you most likely need to pull the carbs and do a full cleaning for them to properly work.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          If your just cleaning/lubing the cable... there probably isn't a need to remove the carbs. If your needing to pull and clean the fuel enrichment plungers, then you most likely need to pull the carbs and do a full cleaning for them to properly work.

Krey
          Just thought that there's plenty access to the choke plungers by just removing the tank. After all, they just slide out more or less. But it might be a little tricky to clean the seatings for them in the carbs.

Comment

I faintly remember separating my carb bodies to remove the plungers. I think the plungers are almost the complete width of the carb body plus a plastic clip/holder that holds it in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie View Post
              Just thought that there's plenty access to the choke plungers by just removing the tank. After all, they just slide out more or less. But it might be a little tricky to clean the seatings for them in the carbs.

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
              I faintly remember separating my carb bodies to remove the plungers. I think the plungers are almost the complete width of the carb body plus a plastic clip/holder that holds it in place.

My point was that if the plungers are dirty to start with, then so is the rest of the carbs. Don't half arse it... clean it all.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

might as well clean the carbs too...seems like there is a post every other day about starting problems and a large majority of the time it has to do with carbs.
                "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

Comment

i agree, im getting so sick of these damn old carbs, nothing but problems, wish they still made them cause id spend the money and buy new ones. i like my pre and wouldnt want a newer bike.
                  sigpic
                  if you can read this then your in range.
                  1 shot 1 kill

Comment

Originally posted by fourhoofsfarm View Post
                    i agree, im getting so sick of these damn old carbs, nothing but problems, wish they still made them cause id spend the money and buy new ones. i like my pre and wouldnt want a newer bike.
                    Just replace everything inside of them and youll have a "new" set- thats what ive ended up doing

Comment

Originally posted by Tugroot View Post
                      Getting back to the question and what Kreylyn said: There is NO "flap" in the carbs of our Kats.
                      Does the original post refer to some older model Kat or does it have some different set of carbs or does he/she just not know that there is no "choke" on these bikes?

Comment

Thanks Guys

I will try cleaning the carbs the temps have been down in the 20's here for while now and thats when i started having trouble

Comment

Working...
                        X